Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Was It Over When The Germans Bombed Pearl Harbor?


Truth be told, being abroad has made me pretty home-sick for the college scene back at home. I seem to be compensating for this by (a) investing in awesome related apparel, and (b) marathoning feel-good college movies. Films that remind us of what college should, and could, be if we only stopped worrying about the future and enjoyed the liberties of the present.

This of course, brought me back to Animal House. The first time I saw this movie, I honestly forgot most of it and didn't really see the point. The plot seemed to have no continuity whatsoever, and I wasn't paying well enough attention to pick up on some of the more subtle humor in the flim (this tends to happen to me when 50% of the characters look exactly alike- I'm kind of peopleblind like that). And it's true, the plot does go on a bit, and unless you're familiar with campus ROTC you will be entirely lost at some points. But on a second go around (and also having been in college for more than a month) I have to say this film truly earns its title as a classic. Despite taking place fifty years ago, it details timeless elements of the college experience that I have yet to see in any modern imitation. (Yes, I have heard of professors inviting students back to their place to get high, and of course, witnessed a group of dudes head to a women's college on an obviously shitty excuse hoping to get laid.)

I also feel the need to point out, given the conservative and classy 1960's backdrop, the absolute least expected scene in any movie ever made:




Oh, and I still contend that the Register Girl is clearly missing a tit.

No comments: