Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Random Rants from Finals Week: Part I

So my homosexual spanish roomate is having a dinner party and blasting pop music from the next room over. Luckily this is unlike the other day when it was Shania Twain, but I digress.

Anyway, so the classic "Say My Name" by Destiny's Child comes on. The lyrics of this song have always irked me. Let's see why:


"Say my name, say my name
If no one is around you, say 'baby I love you'
If you ain't runnin' game
Say my name, say my name
You actin' kinda shady
Ain't callin me baby..."



Obviously I understand the main jist of the song: "I have telephoned you and you have not greeted me with your usual affection and enthusiasm, should I be concerned that your affections are waning, or that I am somehow being cuckolded?" But here is what gets me:

For starters, unless you have incredibly ghetto parents (or starred in the 1980s sensational hit Dirty Dancing) I doubt that your name is Baby. More importantly, any good player knows that 'Baby' is actually the best pet name to use when playing multiple women at once! It is both affectionate and incredibly impersonal, allowing the player to impress while not having to worry about keeping petnames straight. Long story short, even if he is calling you 'Baby,' that is in no way proof that he "ain't runnin' game." Infact, he probably is, so you might want to start moving on.

(Try not to set fire to his house though...oops, sorry, too late.)



Ok, Janet Jackson's "Together Again" is on and my mood is slightly assuaged. European radio is mystifying. Though I am enjoying the Star99.9-esque "hits of the eighties, nineties, and today" flashback.

No comments: