Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Apologia

Whenever I wish I could be watching a movie but can't; or feel I've already watched a movie enough times to glean every last bit of joy out of it that I possibly could, I like to look it up on iMDb or wikipedia and see what the rest of the world thinks. And apparently, according to the rest of the world, I have horrible taste.


I don't go to the movies very often, but here are two of my favorite films that came out recently:







I doubt my infatuation with them will last for too long, but I really thought that each had real individual redeeming qualities that deserve mentioning-unlike almost every critic in the western hemisphere.


HJNTIY was amazing. Half way into it, like many of the characters in the movie, I honestly had no idea who was going to end up with who, or even who I should like as a person, but I was on the edge of my seat to find out. It's also the only movie I've seen in the genre where who-likes-who isn't black and white and all-or-nothing, but a more realistic gradient of interest with some people simply ranking higher than others. Yes, the "you're my exception" line near the end made me want to cringe, but the rest of the movie does a good job of avoiding over-the-topness and keeping things both down-to-earth and heartwarming.

Ghosts of Girlfriends Past definitley didn't have the most realistic plot (I kind of gave up on that when, you know, ghosts started appearing), and yes, McCon-naughty is a slimeball surrounded by shockingly obliging sluts. But I did think the relationship between him and the leading lady was very realistic in its complexity: the roots of their feelings towards each other weren't all based on one simple moment or story, but several in a variety of different times and circumstances. And really, who couldn't love the Ghost of Girlfriend's Past herself? If I die young, I would totally look into that job.


But it's true, my DVD collection has been seriously suffering from an overload of mainstream estrogen recently. It needs spunk. Suggestions?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I must agree, I did not like either of those movies. But, as you know, I have terrible taste in other movies so I can forgive you for it. :)
-molly

Juicy said...

haha, also known as your HSM obsession :P